Aside from the book and your friends, asking questions about what you’ve read is, obviously, a key to any good book club. The right questions can keep your book club lively and engaged (and avoid any awkward silences). And since no one wants to sit through a book club discussion that is halting and uninspiring, we have discussion questions available for all of the titles below, plus some general questions that you can use to start a conversation on any book. Scroll down for the complete selection of discussion questions.
The below kits include discussion questions, recipes, historical information, recommended reads beyond the book, and more! If you're an author or publisher interested in having a kit made for your book(s), please be in touch with Jewish Book Council at email@example.com.
Click on any title below to find discussion questions for your next book club. Books are listed in alphabetical order by title.
Can't find discussion questions for a book? Email firstname.lastname@example.org, and JBC will try to help!
An Improbable Friendship: The Remarkable Lives of Israeli Ruth Dayan and Palestinian Raymonda Tawil and their 40-year Mission to Build Understanding Between Their Peoples
You Saved Me, Too: What a Holocaust Survivor Taught Me About Living, Dying, Loving, Fighting and Swearing in Yiddish
- Were there any characters that you related to more or less than the others?
- Was there a section of the book that spoke to you?
- Do any of the characters get to experience redemption in the novel? If so, who and when?
- Is there a particular character that stands out to you as the hero of the story? Why?
- How did you feel about the end of the book? Did it change how you view the novel as a whole?
- What did you learn from reading this book?
- Was there anything that you found surprising?
- Do you feel that the author's writing of the book was biased or completely objective?
- Was there something in the book that you related to or shared the author's perspective on?
- Why do you think the author chose to write on this subject matter?