A nostalgic, fascinating, behind-the-scenes look at the blockbuster success of NBC’s Friends, including brand-new interviews with the series creators, published for the 25th anniversary of the show’s première.
Generation Friends: An Inside Look at the Show That Defined a Television Era
January 1, 2013
Courtesy of Saul Austerlitz
- Which of the show’s two central couples, Ross and Rachel or Chandler and Monica, feels truer to your personal experience?
- Why do you think the show connected so deeply with its audience in the 1990s and early 2000s?
- And why do you think the show continues to find new generations of audiences, when other shows from its era do not?
- Do you have a personal favorite episode? If so, which one, and why?
- Are there particular characters or storylines that you believe have not aged well?
- Do you think a contemporary sitcom could connect with audiences the way Friends did?
- Does Friends say something relevant about the life of young adults? What do you see as its message?
- What was the atmosphere like in the Friends writers’ room? In what way did that environment contribute to the show?
Jewish literature inspires, enriches, and educates the community.
Help support the Jewish Book Council.