Bettina Berch, author of the recent biography, From Hester Street to Hollywood: The Life and Work of Anzia Yezierska, teaches part-time at the Borough of Manhattan Community College.
Marie Syrkin: Values Beyond the Self
1. Why do you think it took Marie Syrkin until she was thirty to seriously work at her career?
2. What are some of the issues Syrkin raised in her writings that are still relevant or unresolved today?
3. Why do you think Syrkin wrote a biography called Way of Valor about Golda Meir as early as 1955, when Golda was Labor Minister of Israel? Discuss the change in the titles for the two revised editions in 1963 and 1969.
4. Though Syrkin and Golda Meir never like being categorized as feminists,do you think of them as feminist? Are they the same in their attitudes toward feminism?
5. Between 1962 and 1989, Marie Syrkin wrote essays or spoke about the topic “A Labor Zionist Takes Stock.” What do you think she might say today?
Help support the Jewish Book Council.